Tuesday, February 1, 2011

That's how the cookie crumbles

Here in CT we have been bombarded with snow this year. The kids seem to be home more then in school over the last few weeks. That means routine has been disrupted to say the least. The inside of my house looks like there could have been a storm that came through here ( but it was just my children). In the mist of chaos I decided to let the two younger ones make cookies, there was no way I was going to be able to recover my house with them still awake.
I learned today that King Arthur's gluten free, casein free, soy free, nut free cookies don't work so well with cookie cutters. After cutting a few cookis the dough was just getting stuck in the cookie cutter.....oh well at least the kids had fun trying.

My middle daughter Allie loves to bake or cook,
 and Miss Gabby loves to follow her lead,

except if her hands get messy. She really wants to join in the fun, but sometimes her hands getting messy is just to much stimulation. A child with autism often has a lot of tactile defensiveness (they are sensitive to touch sensations and can be easily overwhelmed by ordinary daily experiences and activities).




 At first when we started to use the cookie cutters the girls were having a blast, but we quickly learned that the dough gets mushy and very stick quicker then regular dough. So we aborted the cookie cutter idea and decided to roll them.  After only a few minutes of rolling cookies Gabby started to whine that the dough hurt.


She become so overwhelmed that she started to lick and bite the dough off her hands... when she found that wasn't working well enough she put her hands up the sleeves of her shirt trying to get the dough off faster. She won't let me wipe them, only she could do it. I am proud that it didn't send her into a meltdown
(small steps forward)


Even though this task was not esay for her, she did really well. I can see how much progress she has made, and I am so proud of her for trying.

Who couldn't LOVE that smile?


No comments:

Post a Comment